Annual Wellness Exam
Scheduling Insurance Covered Preventative Care
Spring is here. The flowers are blooming, the temperature is rising, and you know what else? It’s time for your annual wellness exam. If you don’t have a routine for an annual doctor’s visit, now is a great time to schedule that visit.
What is a wellness exam?
This is a preventative appointment where you discuss your health with your primary care physician and make a plan to maintain or improve your health. This will help your doctor to detect any health concerns and outline your risk factors for certain illnesses or diseases.
Items that could be part of your annual wellness exam include:
- Measure your height and weight
- Check your blood pressure and heart rate
- Conduct a vision screening
- Give a health risk assessment
- Understand your medical and family history
- Review your screening schedule that is appropriate for your age and risk factors
- Screen for cognitive impairment which could detect Alzheimers and dementia
- Outline a personalized health plan based on any changes in your health or risk factors, a doctor examines you from head to toe reviewing everything from your eyes to your circulation in your lower extremities. You can also get a physical that is specific to your gender where reproductive organs are assessed.
In addition to annual wellness and physical exams, some doctors encourage lab work to be performed. This could include a blood draw or urine analysis. Your blood work might entail a complete blood count and chemistry panel.
Annual wellness exams are covered by Medicare as well as most insurance companies. You should understand your health benefits to know if you should book an annual wellness exam or physical. If you are unsure, reach out to your insurance company. Many doctors offices can also clarify your benefits. You should take advantage of free preventative care that is built into your insurance plan. These appointments can detect health risks and help you to improve your overall health.
Healthstar Physicians accepts most forms of insurance and takes patients on Medicare.
If you or a loved one is looking for a primary care physician, please reach out to your local Healthstar Physicians office. Our team serves patients across East Tennessee with offices in 6 counties.