Helping Chronic Wounds Heal
Do you have a spot that won’t heal well? If so, it may be time to see a doctor about wound care. If you have a wound that hasn’t started to heal in two weeks or completely healed in six weeks, you should seek medical care.
Identifying a chronic wound
A fresh wound is often red and sometimes irritated or swollen. A chronic wound that doesn’t progress through the healing process has symptoms that may include:
- Lack of healing including scabs or new tissue
- Numbness in the area
- A change in color
- A foul odor
- Noticeable swelling
When a wound doesn’t follow the healing process, a treatment plan needs to be put in place. To do this, a doctor will identify the reason for the lack of healing.
Reasons a wound may not heal well
There are multiple reasons that a wound might be delayed from healing. These include:
- Diabetes which can prevent the skin from healing itself due to inflammation processes being suppressed.
- Poor circulation in the arteries or veins prevents blood from reaching the affected areas. Nerve damage also impacts healing.
- Poor nutrition can contribute as malnutrition is an indication of deficiency, excess or imbalance of a person’s intake of nutrients. Without the proper nutrition, a body won’t function at optimal levels.
- Weak immune system
- Smoking impacts a person’s immune system which then prevents healing.
- Excessive use of alcohol interferes with the inflammatory and proliferation phases of healing.
- Bone infection can be linked to a non healing wound or a wound that closes and reopens.
- Inactivity can cause inflammation which reduces skin healing.
What to expect with wound care
A doctor will examine the wound and measure the size of the affected area. Then he/she will determine if it is receiving proper blood flow and determine why it isn’t healing. After this, a personalized treatment plan will be put in place.
The goals of your treatment plan will include healing but also focus on the affected area not becoming larger. Severe cases can result in limb loss.
Healthstar Physicians can provide complete medical care for you and your entire family. Whether you are needing a general physician or a specialist, reach out to our team to set up an appointment. We take most forms of insurance and have offices across East Tennessee.